Friday, July 9, 2010

Plankity Plank Plank!

My husband, two kids, and I are moving to North Carolina in three weeks. Wahoo!

I have lived entirely in Minnesota for the first 30 years of my life, and boy am I excited for a change in locale. More importantly, a warmer locale. My husband actually hails from Indiana, but came to Minnesota to go to college. We actually met the first day of freshmen orientation (at St. Olaf College in Northfield, MN. And no, St. Olaf is not just a place they made up for 'Golden Girls'). He never minded the cold, but I often dreamed of buying one-way tickets to Fiji whenever November rolled around and the months of torture were neigh upon us. In fact, I often said that if we weren't called to the ministry we were apart of, we would not be living in Minnesota. So...read between the lines...we are moving to North Carolina!

In preparation for our move, I have been looking online to find a possible new home church. Other than the doctrinal statements or vision/mission/purpose statements for the more 'relevant' churches, I particularly like to look at the staff and leadership bios. Frequently, I find myself zeroing in on the worship leader, if his/her bio is available. You see, I was on the worship team at our ex-ministry, and it truly is a passion of mine. Worship that is, not the ex-ministry (*smirk*). I would love to have the opportunity to use my gifts in that manner again. Anyway, a lot of the 'relevant' churches have the casual approach to bios, and include things like: "What's your favorite movie?" and "What's music is on your ipod/CD player right now?" and "How much wood could woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

When it came to the ipod/CD question, I found myself zeroing in on the worship leader's answers. U2? John Mayer? Usher? What...no worship music? Just a bunch of secular music?
And then, I hear it, the little voice in my head: "Oh really? What's in your CD player right now?" Um, well, One Republic, Sara Bareilles, La Roux...oh, and Chris Tomlin! Hey, I got one!

Well, crap. Excuse me while I go remove this plank from my eye.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Brooke, good luck with the move. I've only visited MN and NC (both twice) and they are beautiful. I hope you enjoy your new place and find a church where you can grow.

    ReplyDelete